The District Harburg

At the heart of the southern Hamburg Metropolitan Area

Right in the center of the southern Hamburg Metropolitan Area, District Harburg has already doubled its population since the post-war years. The purchasing power of its residents is the highest in Lower Saxony; unemployment is far below the national average. The region could easily take advantage of its favorable location between Bremen, Hamburg and Hannover. However District Harburg never found it easy to find its own identity. The district gained new area through the consolidation of the districts of Harburg and Winsen in 1932, only to be cut again five years later by the Greater Hamburg Bill. Through this law, the old suburb of Harburg was annexed to Hamburg. Therefore, the district lost its natural, cultural, and economic center. The District Harburg that is known today is characterized by its common border with the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg, and profits from this close socio-economic and transport integration.

The north of the district is strongly economically oriented. The highway network of A1, A7, A250 and A261, with the Maschener Intersection, the Horster Triangle and the Buchholzer Triangle provide the perfect transport infrastructure needed by any business for expansion. The southern part of the district is entirely different; here, consideration was given to the scenic beauty of the Lüneburg Heath Nature Reserve. Consequently, the local authorities have developed popular tourist communities at par with european standards, the most popular examples of which are Egestorf, Undeloh, Hanstedt and Jesteburg.

The Harburg District has been chosen by international companies, such as the sportswear firm "Kiltec",  „Feldbinder Spezialfahrzeugbau GmbH“, who build special purpose vehicles or the pharmaceutical „Dr.Loges + Co GmbH", and also small and medium-sized enterprises as the location for their north European operations. 

Winsen/Luhe (city founded 1322), enclaved in the Elbe river landscape, with 34,000 inhabitants, serves as the administrative city for the entire district, together with the young city of Buchholz (population of 39,000), located in the forests of Nordheide.

Teilen:Auf Google+ teilenAuf XING teilen